The 2014 OC Fair (July 11-August 10) is offering bakers, cooks, chefs and home winemakers from throughout California the opportunity to showcase their culinary prowess in a variety of competitions:
- Baked Goods & Confections: Quick Breads; Yeast Breads; Layer Cakes; Cupcakes; Cookies; Bars & Brownies; Cheesecake; Confections; Pies
- Food Blog Post: Cooking & Recipe; Editorial
- Preserved Foods: Dried Fruits, Vegetables, Meats & Herbs; Canned Fruits & Vegetables; Preserves; Jams & Conserves; Marmalades; Jellies; Pickles; Relishes; Infused Vinegar; Sauces
- Sugar Arts: Decorated Fondant Cake; Sugar Sculpture & Edible Art; Traditional Icing Cake
- Table Settings: Round & Rectangle Tables
- Home Wine: Whites; Rose; Blush; Desserts or Other Concentrates; White Blends; Reds; Red Blends; Fruits; Sparkling (Grapes must have been grown in California)
All competitions require online registration. The Home Wine registration deadline is May 24 and has a $10 registration fee. All other listed culinary competitions have a June 9 registration deadline with a $5 per entry processing fee and cash awards of up to $100. Online registration is open now at ocfair.com/competitions. Every entrant receives one complimentary 2014 OC Fair admission.
In addition to the various early registration competitions, the OC Fair is also hosting several Special Culinary Contests that are free to enter and have later deadlines. Each contest is judged live at the Fair and is open to amateur cooks and professional chefs. To receive a free Fair admission ticket to watch the judging live, entrants must register online by the Wednesday before each contest.
- Eating Smart Starts Here (July 19) – Make a healthy appetizer, salad, soup, side dish, main dish or dessert using fruits and/or vegetables.
- Chili, Wings or Salsa (July 26) – Get spicy with your best chili, chicken wings or salsa.
- OC Cupcake Classic (August 2) – Bake your best cupcake for a sweet victory.
- Fairtastic Food (August 9) – Get creative and show us your best Fair-style food item.
The 2014 OC Fair, themed Summer Starts Here,is July 11 – August 10 and will bring 23 days of food, rides, exhibits, animals, music, action sports and fun, as well as the Super Pass, Toyota Summer Concert Series at the Pacific Amphitheatre and events in The Hangar and Action Sports Arena.
The Fair is open Wednesday-Sunday. Concert tickets, action sports reserved seats, single-day general admission and the popular Super Pass are available for purchase online at ocfair.com or from the on-site Box Office.
The OC Fair & Event Center is located off the 405 and 55 freeways at 88 Fair Drive in Costa Mesa. For more information, please visit ocfair.com, become a fan at Facebook.com/OCFair, follow us at twitter.com/ocfair or call (714) 708-1500.
Download the free OC Fair iPhone and Android apps available this summer.